Our nonprofit, Green Map System, Inc. has re-licensed the once-copyrighted Green Map Icons, v3 for use under the Creative Commons BY-NC-SA license (+CC).
Attribution - NonCommercial - Share Alike
This means you can freely use the Green Map Icons on non-commercial projects of any kind, adapt and share them provided that you give credit to Green Map System and share your project as described below. We designed these icons to address sustainability and engagement, as described here.
Green Map's icons and selected engagement tools are Creative Commons licensed. We encourage you to include, reprint or otherwise use our work under the following terms:
Credit: Green Map System Icons, CC BY-NC-SA +CC
As per the license, you are free to:
- Share — copy and redistribute the material in any medium or format
- Adapt — remix, transform, and build upon the material
- Attribution — You must give appropriate credit, provide a link to the license, and indicate if changes were made. You may do so in any reasonable manner, but not in any way that suggests the licensor endorses you or your use.
- NonCommercial — You may not use the material for commercial purposes.
- ShareAlike — If you remix, transform, or build upon the material, you must distribute your contributions under the same license as the original.
- No additional restrictions — You may not apply legal terms or technological measures that legally restrict others from doing anything the license permits.
- Creative Commons 4.0 United States License, allows additional requirements as a +CC. Green Map System adds: For any commercial or non-conforming usage, you must contact us in advance for permission.
You may copyright your own Green Map, for example, as long as you include the credit for Green Map Icons as shown below. Read the full license terms here. CopyFair (a new license in development) for commercial usage is under consideration, so those who benefit contribute in the spirit of mutual aid.
Within the Creative Commons 4.0 parameters, you can share and adapt our icons and tools to create many more types of projects, as demonstrated by the Outcomes:
- Green Map - printed: folding, poster, postcard, collage, any format on paper
- Green Map - web: interactive, web and GIS maps
- Consulting: mapping, strategies for resilience, community engagement and capacity building
- Education: experiential and teaching materials for youth and community, research and tutorials
- Events: workshops, tours and data-collection events, exhibits, fairs, games and experiences
- Goods: t-shirts, guides, passports, books, posters, graphics and design elements
- Media: videos, murals, performance, podcasts, art, multimedia and signage
- Planning & Design: mapping, visioning, site assessment, community engagement & development
- Technology: apps, templates, AI, icon interfaces and partnerships
- Tools: extension and translation of existing Green Map tools, creation of new tools
Thank you for using GreenMap.org and sharing your project’s story.
Green Map System (“GMS”) is now using a Creative Commons 4.0 licence, find details here.
By downloading our icons, you are agreeing to the full Terms and Conditions of Green Map System’s License Agreement.
Your use of Green Map Icons and tools comes with the expectation that you will share a story about it on our website, GreenMap.org. As described on the Stories page (with its FAQ below), you can add media in several formats, and return to update your story over time.
When you share your story online, it may be used in whole or in part by Green Map System.
All Green Maps use Green Map Icons (50% or more of the symbols on the map). Green Map Projects also use these icons.
A Green Map may be produced in any format, including an interactive map, using our icons, tools and ethic. You may use the Open Green Map ("OGM Map") platform or use other mapping platforms that already include the Green Map Icons.
GMS has the right to remove inactive or inaccurate Green Mapmakers' Profiles, Maps or data.
Access to our Logo
The Green Map logo is trademarked in the United States, the European Community and Taiwan. This trademark is not licensed under the Creative Commons, and the trademark is retained by Green Map System. You may request a limited license using this form.
Name, address, email (or login)
Explicit Use - menu can have Green Map, Events, Education, Art, Consulting, Technology, Tools
For how long: __
This is a one-year license with automatic renewals unless terminated in writing by Green Map System. Our policy may change without prior notice. Generally, if you are using our icons and tools, you may use the name Green Map.
How to Credit Material from Green Map in publications
In order to cite Green Map System, we suggest that you use this citation format, or similar.
Green Map System (2017). Author: Janet Felsten, Baltimore Green Map: Discover. Enjoy. Learn. Take Action. Retrieved June 2, 2017, from Green Map System’s Impact Book, page 31-32: http://GreenMap.org/impacts
Credit: Green Map System Icons, CC BY-NC-SA
Right Use Policy
Non-Commercial Use: Permission is granted to use and copy Green Map documents for any non-commercial use, subject to the following restrictions:
The above notice appears on all copies and documentation.
The name "Green Map System" shall not be used in any advertisements or publicity programs without specific permission.
Commercial Use: Any commercial use of documents on this website will require a license and a fee. Under no circumstances can any files be altered or distributed without specific written permission.
To contact Green Map System:
Phone: +1 212 674 1631